Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Humor

I'm still reading that book...that one from the last post...and it is highly amusing. Aisha has the ability to create funny from the mundane and not-so-mundane. I realized as I read, however, that it was making me somewhat self-concious about my own inability to write in a witty manner.

Don't get me wrong, I like a good joke and I can laugh at myself along with the rest of them, but there is a damn good reason that I am not a comedy writer, or a stand up comic. I have to get on a roll verbally before I can find my wit, and it's not something I've ever been able to translate to paper.

However, I did find what she had to say about keeping alive humor important, especially in light of our current political situation. It is a way, I think, of re-energizing in the face of what feels like a gloomy next four years. And we don't really have to work hard to find things amusing (and a little sad at the same time) with the current administration.

This mornings confirmation hearings of Condaleeza Rice is but one example. Dr. Rice was being asked about military preparedness going into Iraq and her initial response was that she would not dream of giving the president advice about going to war. But wait, hasn't she been the National Security Advisor? Isnt' she responsible for the security of the American people here and abroad? I would think she would have some responsibilities in that area.

But the funny part, the part you have to laugh hysterically about until your friends slap you, is that Dr. Rice will now be charged with restoring relationships abroad with those that the administration, including her, have spent the past 4 years alienating. Good luck!

No comments: