Thursday, February 03, 2005

State of the Union

I didn't watch it...I wasn't even aware that it was going to be happening until I turned on the television later in the evening. I heard enough to know that our President continues to rush us headlong into disaster. Anyway, I thought that I might give my thoughts on the state of our union.

1. We continue to be engaged in a war that our government lied to get us into...and it is draining our tax dollars from needed domestic programs.

2. We have a government that continually, because of "security" reasons or religious conviction, insists on carving away at our civil liberties.

3. We have a populace that is, for the most part, apathetic so long as we have our Wal-Mart, Sam's Club, Trader Joe's to keep us occupied.

4. We are allowing the rape and commodification of our natural resources.

5. We watch as corporations gain greater and greater power and influence and consumers have fewer and fewer protections.

I could go on ad nauseum, but this just depresses me. We need to be vigilant. We need to be more willing to speak our minds. We need to be more active.

Peace!

No comments: