Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Tsunami warning?!

I just read that there was a tsunami warning in effect for the north coast of CA from about 7:50 p.m. to 8:50 p.m. (Due to a 7.0 quake off the coast north of here.)

Now I know that there is little chance of a tsunami in the bay area due to the geography of the ocean and bay floors here in the Bay Area, but really, you'd think that they would have announced something (and I was listening to the radio for a fair portion of the time). I don't feel very reassured.

2 comments:

Charby said...

I suppose it at least puts a bit more excitement in your general day. And it makes a nice story "Oh yes, I remember the day we were on Tsunami alert"

HistoryGeek said...

That's true...although local law enforcement was not notified of the alert until 10 minutes after the estimated time the wave would have hit.

To be fair, they did evacuate the town that they thought was most at risk.