Monday, June 05, 2006

How we met...

I've been meaning to write this post for several days, but just haven't. So I thought I would take a few minutes to share with folks how I met the various cast of characters that sometimes show up as commenters and that I knew in real life before the blog.

MN Doctor - well that's what I'll call her from now on. I met her the day I moved into the dorm for college (undergraduate). We were randomly placed together (which is usually a disaster - we lucked out)...we think it was a bit of a joke on the part of the housing staff because our first names are almost exactly the same (but pronounced differently). I didn't move in the first day of orientation because I lived in the same city and I really wasn't very excited about "mixers" at that point. One of the first things she said to me was, "Are you a sophomore?" We were roommates throughout college and still remain good friends, even if she does choose to live in a very cold place.

weenut - she lived on the same dormitory floor with MN Doctor and I. There were about 4 or 5 of us who bonded in response to the utterly sororiety atmosphere of the other people on our floor. I think we may have met for the first time in the TV room, though. Weenut and I have remained friends despite having lost touch a couple of times over the years. We always seem to reconnect...I think we are just a lot alike (although her job is much more glamorous). Happily, she now lives here in the Bay Area.

WritingInAK - I met her in DC my first day of orientation for the Lutheran Volunteer Corps. I remember being terribly jealous of her because she was very cool and already knew someone (well, her then-boyfriend) who would be in another house. We worked roughly the same schedule at our jobs which was almost completely opposite to everyone else's and got to spend a lot of time together. It was she that I first came out as bi to...and it was during a trip to visit her in Berkeley that I fell in love with the Bay Area and decided to move here. She just rocks!

shadow51 - I met this fine woman working in DC after my volunteer years. We worked together for several years and she was instrumental in keeping me sane at the organization we were at. She introduced me to Diana Gibaldon and Buffy the Vampire Slayer - this is a true friend! During my last 2 months in DC, she was kind enough to rent me a spare room in her house so that I would not be homeless. I don't keep in contact enough.

HippyChick - She remembers meeting me during orientation during grad school. But honestly, I only remember P'tit Loup from orientation. I hope I will be forgiven, I had just arrived in Berkeley the day before from my trip cross-country. We didn't really connect until about 1/2 way through our first year. But once we did, we became really close, really quickly. She is, quite simply, family to me. What more can be said.

P'tit Loup - The reason I remember her from orientation is that she was dressed in her typical outfit - comfy jeans and a t-shirt. I had also dressed fairly casually and was a little overwhelmed that it seemed that most people had dressed up a bit. I loved her laugh and she was so incredibly easy-going. My favorite weekends away, are visiting her and her family down in Morro Bay. I never lack for things to talk about with her.

I think that's everyone. If I missed anyone, let me know.

I am feeling much better today, and I thank you all for your well-wishes.

Happy Monday!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

of course you are forgiven! and you are family to me too (the good kind - haha) :) I remember also being horrified that so many people were well-dressed, i mean it's SCHOOL for f's sake!

HistoryGeek said...

I forgot to add BeeDragon. I met her through HippyChick, of course...and really that's their story to share not mine. Suffice it to say, they are a great fit . I am totally in awe of her mad computer skills.

Fred said...

Glad you're feeling better, and thanks for the stories. They're interesting.