Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Gratitude

I'm going to be away from the computer for the Thanksgiving holiday weekend, so I thought I'd write my post on gratitude today.

I'm grateful for my family and friends. For all their faults and my frustrations with them, my parents and my sister are good people who love me. My chosen family are my greatest joy and support. I could rave, but instead I will be quietly thankful for the support and love I get from S, SS, HippyChick, BeeDragon, and B. My friends, in real life and in blogland, bring such richness to my days, I don't know what I'd do without you all.

I'm grateful for the place that I'm in physically, emotionally, and spiritually. I like myself on a level I can honestly say I've never experienced before. Some of this gratitude does belong to zoloft, but the rest was perserverence and a willingness to work, on my part, I know.

I'm grateful for my work, even when I'm frustrated by it. There is something in it that nourishes me.

I'm grateful for the earth and all that's in it (and for wombats that remind us of our world's importance to us).

I hope that you all have a wonderful holiday!

*******************************************
P.S. I am now also grateful that I don't work for the US Postal Service. I have just learned that they do not pay into any disability (or for that matter the federal social security system) insurance. So if you get sick on the job...like a chronic illness which might take you out of the workforce...you are apparently SOL. Suddenly, my job benefits look almost decadent.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving Spins, you do always seem to have the right touch on your posts. Enjoy your holiday

Fred said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, Spin.

P'tit-Loup said...

Have a great thanksgiving and thanks for the wombat link, that is very nice and so reflect my own feelings about the world and the unfortunate me we end up making of it more often than not.

Aravis said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Spins! I hope you had an excellent visit with your family and friends.


Regarding postal workers and their benefits: An elderly friend of mine worked for the post office for most of his life. He asked when he started about paying into social security, and he was told that he didn't have to. Then after he retired and tried to collect his benefits, he was told that he owed over $100,000 to the government for not paying into social security! The man is over 80 years old, broke, having to work odd jobs to pay it back while taking care of his ailing wife. Very sad. I would caution anyone to double-check the tax situation if they've been told that they don't have to pay into it while working in the P.O.