Sunday, December 03, 2006

Random Bits

Of all the rooms in the house I find the most satisfying once it is clean (notice I don't say I find it satisfying to clean), it is the bathroom. It's not because I get to luxuriate in its neatness once it is finished. It is simply because I know that I will not have to clean it again for a little bit of time. Many make much of cleaning the toilet, but toilets are not the headachy chore for me, at all. It's the bathtub and shower that I hate to clean. Mostly because it's the most awkward and strenuous, I suppose. But now it's done, and we shan't speak of it again for awhile.

On Dr. Phil: I have several clients who mention Dr. Phil on a fairly regular basis. And I, internally, squirm everytime. Here's what's frustrating to me...1) his style (this is a personal issue, I am aware of that); 2) he provides quick fixes with no follow-up, which in the long-term may actually be more harmful than helpful; 3) he always knows the "answers." This may be the most frustrating to me. I don't think that anyone has the "answers" for everyone. I'm aware that he is quite popular because of this...to me it falls in line with the feeling that my client's (and I, myself) often have in therapy, of just wanting it all to be fixed, right now. It is never that easy.

I'm heading off this afternoon to wander around the Oakland Museum where they are having their annual Fungus Fair. It's also the last day of their Day of the Dead display, so I'll take that in as well.

Gods, but I'm glad that bathroom is clean!

3 comments:

Aravis said...

Day of the Dead, and Fungus? What a day! *LOL*

Anonymous said...

What would Dr. Phil say about all this? :)

Hyde said...

Hmm... I have to stand by Dr. Phil. Even if he doesn't have long term follow up with his guests, he ALWAYS sets them up with follow up in their hometowns. And even if he doesn't succeed in helping them (as no one can be 100% successful), his advice has often helped me. So, I have to assume that some of it has rubbed off on millions of other viewers too. And with such a wide audience, I'd say that's more help than harm...