Monday, January 08, 2007

Journey to Round Top

Doesn't that title have such a grand sound to it? Well, the tale is a little less grand, but monumental in some ways. You see, yesterday, I went hiking of my own volition all by myself. This is a first. I usually will go for walks at the Berkeley Marina, but rarely do I go to one of the area parks and find a trail and hike it.

About a year ago, I bought a book called Afoot & Afield in the SF Bay Area. It lists all sorts of hikes in the area. I do like to be in nature and thought about finding something nice to do. I never went on any of those hikes.

Then I met S, and he's all about hiking. And as a part of this birthday present I've given him, I need to incorporate hiking into my life as well. And hiking is definitely different than the nice walk around the Berkeley Marina, let me be clear. The paths are different and the terrain...well, there is terrain.

Round Top is the extinct volcano in Sibley Volcanic Regional Preserve. It is listed in my book as an "easy" hike. Let's just say that "easy" is a challenge for me right now, and enough to deter me from the "moderate" hikes listed in the book. But it was beautiful. There was woods and lot's of hills and a view of Mt Diablo. There is an abandoned quarry in which a labrynth has been created (the hardest part of the hike was climbing down and back up from there). There was a bit of slipping and sliding on my ass at one point.

S, being concerned for me, had asked that I not hike anywhere where there weren't lot's of people around. Well, this definitely qualified. It was downright busy with all ages of people and dogs. I even met a dog named Loki!

At the end of the hike, I was proud of what I had accomplished. I had a blister. And I felt really good. You don't really get a good look at Round Top, by the way, because you are basically walking on it's slopes and the top is covered by forest.

It's been a little over a week since S left, and I am missing him. I get to go out this Wednesday for an adventure with SS, but I don't know how much that will help.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hee hee i was just about to lecture you about hiking alone but S beat me to the jewish mom thing ;)

Aravis said...

Hurray for you! That's great, Spins. And I know what you mean about the so-called "easy" trails. I've gone on a few of those and thought I would die! But it's a great feeling, that feeling of accomplishment. I hope the blister heals soon, and that you have fun with SS.