Friday, July 20, 2007

"I'm all shook up"

I got woken up this morning at 4:45 a.m. by a quake. It was small, but it was close by so it unnerved me. It took a bit of time for me to get back to sleep. Only then to be woken before 7 a.m. by some workmen at the Dreyers complex next door. I stepped out my door to ask them, politely, to perhaps wait until after 7 a.m. next time. I got an apology. Better than I'll be getting from the Hayward Fault, I know.

Yesterday, I had the day off. I went with S on a tour of the Oakland Harbor. It was pretty cool seeing the container ships being loaded and unloaded. We saw some cars being loaded onto one of the ships headed to Hawaii. We then toured around the harbor and further up the estuary to some of the newer parks. We got to learn a lot of history and have fun. We rolled down the hill at one of the parks and played on slides at another. It was a lovely day away. A much needed break.

I decided, just recently, that I wanted to start another blog. I'm not going to be abandoning this one, mind, and, I will most likely be shamelessly self-referencing of the other, but I really want to leave this one as a day-to-day personal blog. The other, Steatopygia, will focus on my growing interest in size acceptance and all the ways in which our global attitudes toward food and our bodies are just kind of fucked up.

Things, they are a'changing!

4 comments:

Cody Bones said...

Just keep writing, it's all I ask

HistoryGeek said...

Don't worry, Cody. I won't stop writing.

Anonymous said...

Yeah I kept meaning to see SOTD but got so busy - if u haven't seen Hot Fuzz yet, rent it now :)Thanks for the well wishes - I'm home today...back to bed now!

Aravis said...

You mentioned watching dogs in another post, and your mention of the harbor here reminded me again:

Have you gone to the Bay to watch the dogs train to catch home runs hit out of the park? I saw a program on them on Animal Planet this past week, and thought of you. Though balls are rarely knocked out that far, they train and stand ready to fetch. People can go watch them train...

Your second blog sounds like a great outlet for your further explorations. :0)