Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Food as I know it

I had contemplated starting a new blog with the above name, but have decided against it. Instead, when it strikes my fancy, I will talk about food or drink or review a restaurant. I've always wanted to do that, and I don't know why I've never tried. So keep watch here for reviews.

Today, what I want to talk about is coffee. I love coffee. I don't love the caffeine aspect of coffee and, for that, there are some people who think that I am completely nuts. But coffee has always been about the flavor.

I can remember my mother allowing me sips of her coffee during coffee hour at church. I began ordering coffee in restaurants when I was in middle school. The waitress would often look to my parents to confirm that this was okay, and it was. Coffee is a cultural thing in Minnesota. It's also, for the most part, crap.

As with most of the rest of the country, I didn't drink coffee with any real flavor until Starbucks began making coffee shops a reality. I, of course, branched out and found flavors of coffee that I loved and those I loved less.

I like my coffee light roasted. I love the buttery flavor and notes. With a little cream, I am in coffee heaven.

Since I drink decaffeinated coffee, it can be difficult to find a place to find the coffee that I like. Only one roast is often offered, and we decaf drinkers are at the mercy of the tastes of the Powers that Be of that establishment.

It's been somewhat embarressing, therefore, that my favorite coffee in my neighborhood comes from Noah's bagels. I live in a high brow place where the impression of gourmet is more important than the reality (in my opinion). So it is with some relief to say that I have found an upscale version of Noah's "Gramercy" in the Sumatra blend at Peaberry's Coffee shop at Market Hall.

Does that all make me sound like a snob? Perhaps. But the reality is that Market Hall also has awesome Raisin Cinnamon Rolls at their bakery. And while I love me some Egg mit Turkey Sausage and cheese on an onion bagel, sometimes I just need a raisin goody to jump start my day.

In other news, I've written a new post over at Steatopygia so go read there too.

1 comment:

Aravis said...

Coffee and bagels... I'm ready for a snack! Randy has found me hazelnut decaf to brew at home, so I'm happy.

I'm looking forward to this new feature of yours. :0)