Tuesday, June 17, 2008

"Ding dong the bells are gonna chime"

Last night, at 5 p.m. the court decision legalizing same-sex marriage in California went into effect. Although, some couples were able to marry yesterday as county courthouses stayed open late, today is the marriage day for many more.

I have many mixed feelings about marriage as a single person and a person who has embraced non-traditional relationships. But today is a day to celebrate...well, something. Even if it is in just a few states that this exists.

So to all the hopeful couples who say their vows today: blessings!

3 comments:

Aravis said...

I think that getting married is less important to us (I didn't plan on getting married either, and am still occasionally surprised that I did) than it is to the gay community. We have the option; they didn't. I'm so happy for them that they've finally won the right, at least in some places. The rest of us are lagging behind, and I hope that changes. CT allows civil unions, but not marriage. :0(

Cody Bones said...

As a small government conservative, I find it ludicrous to even contemplate caring what consenting adults do together. Why shouldn't anyone marry whomever they want. Why in the world would we want a government that restricts that. As I said earlier over at Swiss Toni's, I don't want protection by my government, I want protection from my government. Why shouldn't EVERYONE have the same right to have a happy or miserable marriage. (or both)

SinlessTouch said...

ding dong! Im happy that they've finally won the right! Its between consenting adults so there!