Friday, August 08, 2008

HIDA, HIDA, HIDA ho

Today, I went in for another test to see how my gallbladder is functioning. Not much to tell really.

They put in an IV and injected the radioactive agent, then I lay on a very small table for an hour while they watched my liver and gallbladder and all the rest.

Then a doctor came and injected the CCK (which stimulates the gallbladder to do its job). I'd been told there could be nausea and pain and there was.

Then I got leave. I won't know the results until Monday probably.

I went with SS to Cactus (a Mexican restaurant) and S joined us there. Eating made me really nauseous (I looked online and this is not an unexpected result of the CCK injection) and more pain than I usually do. SS & S brought me home and tucked me in bed.

Now I'm hungry again, but worried that when I eat I'll feel sick again.

None of this is fun and I wish someone would just fix it now.

3 comments:

Cody Bones said...

Folks here's the story of Minnie the Moocher.

Nice lyrics Spins, one of my favorite movies of all time as well (probably because my uncle's house was in it. I hope you feel better soon, and I'm thinking good thoughts to you.

Anonymous said...

Ugh sounds pretty bad- so sorry you are going through this. I know it's hard to keep feeling this way and not have any answers. Sending you healing energy and positive thoughts amiga.

Michael said...

Hi, snuck over here from ST's blog.

I had my gallbladder out several years back, and went through a HIDA scan before (mine came back at 1.8% function, lowest my doc ever seen). I had to get one because I had symptoms of a bad gall bladder, but no stones.

Diet was extremely key in the entire gall bladder thing. I figured out I had to completely cut out caffeine from my diet, and keep my fat intake to under 10% of my calories from fat. (1 gram of fat has 9 calories if they don't list the content on the package).

As things progressed, I had to lower it a bit further, and was doing under 5%. NOT FUN.

Hopefully this little bit of info helps out.