Thursday, May 14, 2009

What Not To Wear

I don't often buy new clothes. I often shop and buy clothes, but rare are the times I buy new.

This past weekend, feeling flush with tax returns, I went shopping for new things. I didn't spend much, but it felt like a lot. But I was motivated by a colleague's coments about how she's going to report me to "What Not To Wear."

Now don't get me wrong, I would love to be on the show. First, being given $5000 to spend on a new wardrobe: woot woot! But there's also a part of me that would love to go be fat and proud on the show. And, of course, there is the idea of having Nick Arojo's hands in my hair that is part of a wide variety of personal fantasies.

But as I was thinking about what my colleague said, I realized that she is right. I often will go shopping at thrift stores or other places and find things that fit, but may be too baggy. I also know that, I have lost at least a size since finding out about my gluten thing. There was very little real weight loss, but it was mostly inflamation and bloating. So most of those clothes that have fit me not too long ago are getting to the very baggy stage.

And, then, there are the internal rules that I have played by for decades. Baggy is good to hide the "bulges." Neutral is better than color to not attract attention. These are no longer rules that I want to live by.

So true to the WNTW show, I created a set of rules for myself and went shopping. I'm very happy with what I found, for the most part. I do need to have one pair of pants I bought slightly altered (something I've never done, but was wanting to do with these pants...I have a shape that does not always lend itself to typical pants sizing). But, all in all, I am happy with my choices. I feel good. I look good in these clothes. And I got lot's of compliments.

Still, I do have the other clothes. If you'd like to refer me for WNTW, I would willing bring out the old stuff for your video taping pleasure!

4 comments:

Aravis said...

*LOL*

I love that show, and have threatened Randy with it on numerous occasions. But he's already so self-conscious that I couldn't put him through that. One of the things that I love about Stacy and Clinton (who bought a home not far from where I live!) is that they always encourage their subjects to accept and love their body. They seem genuine about that, too. I've never gotten the sense that they were repulsed by somebody's body type, just their choice in clothing! *G*

I'd always had trouble figuring out clothes. Still do sometimes. But WNTW has taught me so much, and is just plain fun. I wouldn't qualify, but like you, I'd love to have Nick do my hair. In fact, I went online to price it, living as close to the city as I do. $200 for a cut, though? I guess I'll pass. I could use some of Carmindy's makeup tips, particulary the "smoky eye" technique. And I can never find the right shade of lipstick/gloss. But it would also have to be the kind that doesn't wipe off, because that's really, really annoying. I just use lip balm.

I guess I'll just have to muddle through on my own, but if you get one the show, maybe you could look into those issues for me? *G*

Hyde said...

Ha! I love that show too. And who wouldn't want $5000 to spend? I've been going a little crazy with clothes shopping lately and I have to stop...

h

red said...

I'm thinking of reporting your colleague to What Not to Be an Idiot About...

One of the things I hate about society's dictation of what size and shape we're all meant to be is that it leaks through from the adverts, the telly into people's heads. I'd have words to say to someone who started on like that at me at work though. I mean gently if it was a nice person, but maybe not that gently...

HistoryGeek said...

Red - I take her comments with a grain of salt. She's a big woman too and since she's a nurse, she only wears scrubs to work. So I give it right back to her. :)