Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Mash-up

In true mash-up style, I am going to take two very different things and bring them together in lovely harmony...well, maybe not, but I couldn't think of another title.

First, I have to say how pleased I am that the Supreme Court found it unconstitutional to execute a person for crimes committed when they are juveniles. We were only one of 5 countries that allowed that around the world...the others, you ask? Iran, Syria, Saudi Arabia and China. Fine upstanding company, in terms of human rights, I know.

Apparently, Justice Scalia was horrified that the opinions of the international community should have any bearing about the laws in the US...but the majority of the states in the US already outlaw such practices (sadly, it's not an overwhelming majority). Besides, what we determine just is not static and international opinion will increasingly play a role. Can you imagine what life would be like if we didn't heed international opinion? Why we might even be so stupid as to invade countries without just cause....oops!

So here's where the mash-up comes in (nice segue, eh?). I am also very pleased these days with lime popsicles. I don't know why I suddenly have a need for nightly citrus...it is completely at odds with the weather. I will say, one bonus to eating popsicles when it's cooler is that they don't melt as fast.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AhAhAh! That was a good one! I am amazed that Scalia would say that we do not need to heed other countries' opinions. We sure have no problems letting the rest of the world know when we do not approve of what they are doing! We even invade them when they ignore us! Amazing!

Lime popsicles sound great, maybe i'll go to the store!

Lisa