Thursday, June 09, 2005

Walking back to BART

...in the rain after the appointment posted about below, I got a "hey, baby!" on the street. A compliment, you'd think, oh, goody! But it's hard to feel good about a cat-call when it's a bum who hasn't bathed recently. My mood, which was doing fine in my post-tattoo-planning phase, plummeted. I am just not having a good run with this internet dating thing, and most of my friends are already coupled which makes getting out to venues where I might meet interesting single people that much more difficult because they like staying home most weekends.

I did feel a little better later in the evening, however, when talking to a friend about the debacle of her current relationship. She declared that she was happily embracing the single life again. It was a good reality check, and let me get back to my little retreat and cuddle into bed with Kitty with no regrets.

I woke up this a.m. and it's still raining.

7 comments:

Flash said...

"...and most of my friends are already coupled which makes getting out to venues where I might meet interesting single people that much more difficult because they like staying home most weekends."

Oh I sooo know that problem.

Soaring said...

Oh brother! You said it. All the single folks I know are in their early to mid twenties, me pushing 30 like it was going down the plughole and even some of the youngsters are already coupled up. Man oh man. If you were in my city we'd go out together I bet!!! but good news - I lost 6 1/2 lb in my first week of WW!!!!!!!!! Awesome dude. I'm going to keep checking in with you for encouragement and accountability. Plus, no fair! You have a kitty!!!! I want one! I want one! (roomie is allergic - dammit)

Flash said...

Mmmm, wise words from the Fox.
I remember that.

Anonymous said...

Hey spinsterwitch,

I had to comment on your catcall experience. Somehow, it did bring back memories of walking along as a much younger chick in the streets of montreal where every construction worker has been trained by the elders of the trade to utter the most obnoxious whistles and comments no matter what you look like! I never could interpret their comments into anything that made me feel good. Just "icky." Can't wait to see the new tat!

Lisa

LB said...

hurrah! more people who don't know anyone who isnt coupled up ergo weekends highly unentertaining.

i shouldnt probably be excited about this.

more wisdom from the Fox, though, it is a good point.

i'd take a wolf-whistle from anyone at this point. I took someone shouting "Big Issue, mate?" at me as a compliment earlier....

Calia77 said...

Too many of my friends aren't all coupled up: why are we not coupling up with each other? But that's a whole different blog, isn't it?

On a positive note, was walking past the Langham hotel yesterday lunchtime and got chatted up by one of the porters. And he was kinda cute! So that's a good one! I could live off that for about a week. If, or course, I hadn't had dinner last night with the gorgeous guy I fancy. Shame he's only interested in a friendship (for now? who knows?), but hey! It's all still sweet!

And as for those obnoxious construction workers / lorry drivers - learn to smile, say thanks and shake your tush as you strut off! Bless them - you're so way out of their league!

HistoryGeek said...

Wow, I'm doing a blog happy-dance for all the comments that post got (sad, yes, I know). Thank all the gods it's Friday.