Thursday, July 07, 2005

No title

I'm just left feeling so tired tonight - like I've spent the whole day crying, but mostly I've just been numb. And no one else around me seems quite so affected. I've been wondering why people are so happy and smiley today - saying their day is going great, when I just feel like crap and can't imagine how anyone would be unaffected.

The difference between them and me struck me as I was shuttling between various blogs today to read that everyone was okay and their different reactions. I feel connected to you people out there in cyberland. Most of you I wouldn't know passing on the street, but reading the words that are so bravely posted...to feel the comradery of the conversations that happen through comments or linking other blogs to your own makes me aware that this is creating a strange new kind of community.

I admit, I'm a little addicted to it. I like getting windows into people's lives - it's why I'm a social worker and a therapist. But this way, I get to let you in, too. It seems like the only way to really get the "street level" perspective on people's lives these days (our media sure doesn't give us this).

I hope you all sleep safely tonight (although I'm aware that some of you are probably getting out of bed by the time I post this).

4 comments:

Hyde said...

I feel the same way about blogland. Although I have a lot of friends, etc. "in the flesh," I'm addicted to the support I get from bloggers and also to following people's lives. It has a strange kind of "realness" to it. Btw--I think it's awesome you're a social worker and a therapist. So is my sister. It takes a lot of guts to do a job like that. (And yes, I'm reading this upon waking up)

lol!
hyde

Aravis said...

You've just so eloquently written some thoughts that were going through my own head yesterday as well. Thank-you for sharing this.

red one said...

I think people do make something you might call a community in cyberspace. I realised this when a woman on an email list my dad belongs to died. The whole thing was filled with very moving personal tributes - from people who had only met her over the email. My dad was upset to lose a friend he'd only met once in "real" life - she was a friend anyway. And even I had "spoken" to her, because she was on an email list my dad's on...

Strange thing, but a good thing too.

RedOne

Cinemasochist said...

The blog community has no faces, no preconcieved notions upon meeting a person. It takes away that visual prejudice right out of the equation and leaves us just as our words. There are a slew of people that I've met through blogger that I probably wouldn't have spoken to if we had met physically first. That's the way it goes, I reckon.