Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Reflections on a 3 day weekend

They are glorious, aren't they?!

I spent the first part of Saturday doing my therapy thing, then some grocery shopping. Then I hopped off to a birthday bash for a friend, her husband and son...they decided to combine it this year.

Sunday, I ventured off to see War of the Worlds with Hippy Chick and BeeDragon. The movie was an hour late getting started because, get this, they had to change a light bulb in the machine! An hour! They made it up to us by giving us free passes to another film as we left the theater. The movie was edge-of-your-seat scary...and Tom "the idiot" Cruise acquitted himself quite well. Yes, he's an idiot, but he does a fair job acting...it's similar to how I feel about Mel "I'm an ultra-conservative" Gibson.

Monday, I wandered down around Jack London Square (he is an Oakland native) and watched as all the sail boats headed out for a beautiful day on the Bay. Then I spent the rest of the day at home. I cleaned. I did laundry. I cooked. I drank a few beers. I read a book. I blogged (see below). I watched the firecrackers in the street. I went to bed. It was a glorious day. Sometimes I get melancholy being alone on a national holiday, but this was really wonderful. I needed it.

I will say that July 4th is a national holiday that I sort of enjoy. Mostly because there is no expectation of buying and sending gifts/cards to anyone. I like that people get festive and happy, even if it is in service to a "patriotic" day. And the irony of shooting off fire crackers, thereby inducing the sights and sounds of a war zone, on a day we are celebrating our independence is not lost on me. Still, I really do like it - maybe because it is the only one that we celebrate smack in the middle of summer...or maybe because we can still oooh and ahhh over technology that is 1000 years old (fire works and crackers). Whatever - I kind of like it.

3 comments:

Charby said...

Still it's a nice excuse for a party ain't it?
We don't get many of them over here so I'm jealous of anyone who has an extra opportunity for a party!

Flash said...

Yeah, a party in the summer would be cool here!

Aravis said...

It sounds as though you had a lovely, relaxing weekend. :0)

One might think the British would celebrate July 4th for sheer joy of getting rid of us! *G*