Wednesday, September 07, 2005

"It's the end of world as we know it"

Okay, not really, but I couldn't think of a title for this post, and an answer to the meme down below has me thinking of high school (when this song was popular).

So speaking of songs, Swiss Toni asked me to do earworms this week, which I thought was pretty brave because he asked me AFTER I had won a compilation CD put together by Lord Bargain. But it seems that ST has dodged the bullet as the CD has not yet arrived, so no Bargain-induced earworms will be appearing in my list. I am quite looking forward to the CD, though as I know it's in transit...

My first night with clients in my new space went well. We definitely need more light, which is easily remedied. I did take pictures of the office, and as soon as I can download them, I will get them up here.

So now to the questions...here's how the meme worked. I asked Lord Bargain for 5 questions and I'm answering them. I will, however, be the blog where the meme dies because I think that I don't have the brain space to think up lot's of questions right now.


1.If America is deemed a modern civilised country and Sri Lanka is not, how come there were no reports of muggings, looting and violence after the tsunami?I think that this is a complex issue…first, there were reports by human rights groups of a number of incidences of violence and rape against women and children after the tsunami, but none of this was picked up by mainstream news here in the U.S. (I don’t know about Britain.) But I would guess that the sheer violence of the disaster itself (the tsunami) and the shock that ensued (people at least were prepared that a hurricane was going to hit) and the immediate response by the countries involved in the tsunami are all factors. I would take issue with the idea of Sri Lanka not being a modern civilised country…they are a poorer country. But, hell, when the Raiders won the penant a couple of years ago, there was mugging, looting and violence in the streets of Oakland…and that was a happy event.

2. A bat and ball cost $1.10. The bat costs $1 more than the ball. How much is the ball? This just makes my brain hurt. Obviously, the ball cost $.01, the bat cost $1.01, and the other $.08 was California sales tax.

3. What’s the most you have ever spent on a meal? Where/why? I can’t remember exactly what the most expensive meal I ever had was. However, the most memorable expensive meal I ever paid for was my Senior Prom. My date was supposed to pay (we’d worked out split expenses on all of this), but “forgot” his wallet at home. I shelled out $50 for the meals, then also paid for coffee and desert after the dance.

4. Describe your ideal partner. My ideal partner is kind, has a decent sense of humor, is liberal in their political beliefs, is respectful of my spiritual leanings, shares some of my interests, but not all, is comfortable with silences and with someone talking their ear off, is patient, a good lover, and…(I reserve the right to add additional criteria based on whim and experience).

5. How has blogging changed your life (if at all?) OMG! Suddenly I find myself in a community that I didn’t know existed. I spend more time on-line than I have before (hence the DSL at home thing, which still isn’t fixed), which means I watch less television and movies. It can feel a little obsessive at times. I also think that it has allowed me to be more open to people about things. Since I put a lot out here that people in my real life see that either 1) wouldn’t come up otherwise or 2) I wouldn’t have the courage to say in any other context.

4 comments:

Fred said...

LOL on the blogging. I very rarely watch TV anymore because I'm blogging so much. I have to be careful though, it can take up too much time.

Hyde said...

Glad the first night in your new space went well!

:)

Flash said...

D'you know what, Spins?

I think you almost described me there in Q.4! Although you're only after a good lover...

Tee hee.

thephoenixnyc said...

It may not be the end of the world as we know it, but it may be the end of america as we know it.

NOLA was a result of the gutting and demonizing of government by conservatives over the last 30 years.

Its their everyman for himself, suvivla of the fittest attitude that led to this.

Thanks for sharing the personal stuff, very interesting.