Tuesday, September 20, 2005

"This is the dawning of the rest of our lives on holiday"

So it's official, I'm taking a London holiday in April (4/2-4/10 to be exact). It's really very exciting - I've never been and there are some interesting people that I would like to meet and have drinks with. There's also all that lovely history, and shopping (that I can't afford), and people watching. And, hopefully, going when I am I won't have to contend with too many tourists.

HippyChick is looking into the possibility of me staying with a friend of hers for a day or two, which would help because, gods!, do you know how much it costs to stay in London? Many of the hotels are listing prices similar to what I would pay here, except they are quoting in pounds and considering that the dollar is about 1.80 to the pound, it's a little nervewracking. Ah well, the ticket is booked, and I will work it all out. It is, after all, my birthday present to myself.

Of course, now I have 6 months to drive myself crazy with anticipation.

There's been a bit of name calling about blog world this week...and I like it.

Mystic said this: "I really love the nickname I gave spinsterwitch, (Spinny) she is also one of my favourite visitors. But I would name her Evelyn. I would keep the original attributes of that name . I think they suit her perfectly and those are, Dreamy, original, ingenious. Possesses a very creative mind, and often wins fame as a poet or author. Changeable temperament."

Flash said this: "There's a gory twist in some family history going on over at
SweeterThanChocolateAndTwiceAsNice's place. And it's Green Day lyrics all week as she looks forward to this weekend's live shenanigans. Lucky sod!"

All this naming had me on the internet last night looking up my own name (the one in the real world)...and I stumbled on an amazing thing. There is actually a name out there whose meaning is "killed by Spinsterwitch!" It's just a lovely reminder that my name's history is tied to a pretty brutal culture. Another family name, Eske, means "spear of the gods." I like this and now wish it were my middle name or something.

9 comments:

LavaLady said...

Ooh, I'm green with envy, but very pleased for you! You'll have so much fun. That Pound to Dollar thing is PAINFUL.

LB said...

You're going from 4th February until the 4th October?

Blimey, it will cost you a lot to stay over...

HistoryGeek said...

But LB, I thought I'd be staying in your guest room Feb, March & April! And eating your food, and asking for an allowance...

Flash said...

Whoo hoo!
I'll buy the first round!

Hyde said...

Lucky you!!! I'm with LavaLady--green with envy!

Fred said...

Lucky you. I lived in London for a few years, and was just there in June. Be ready for an expensive holiday, though. IMHO, it's well worth the price.

red one said...

Well done, Spin. Have you got a brollie?

red

HistoryGeek said...

A brollie?

Charby said...

umbrella Spins!!!! You'll need it!