Friday, December 23, 2005

"I'll be home for Christmas"

But my luggage may not be. Really, I couldn't make this shit up!

I got up this a.m. at 2:45 a.m., after a brief 3 hour nap, took my shower and packed the toiletries. Then went down to wait for my ride...which was already there. Excellent.

The airport was a breeze - at 4:30 a.m. it ought to be. And the flight to Phoenix was fine. But when I got off and headed to the next plane, I realized I was hungry...I stood in a 25 minute Starbucks line for a $3 danish. Ahhh, airport economies!

It was when I was at the gate for the flight to Minneapolis that I realized that my travel karma was a bit off. I had left my trashy novel on the previous flight. It wouldn't be so bad, if it had been a shorter flight, but this second leg was about 3 hours. And no book! I paged through the Skymall. Which led me to ponder questions about why we need so much stuff in our lives.

I think someone may have heard me and decided to test my resolve (I don't really think this, it's just a nice transitional vehicle), for I stood waiting at the baggage claim until the "last bag" was sent down the shute. There were about 8 of us coming in from SF through Phoenix who didn't have bags, so there's a good chance it will be in a later flight tonight. I'll let you know tomorrow.

But if it doesn't come in...well, I have to find gifts on a very limited budget (not to mention buy underwear). I'm just hopeful that it does come in on this next flight (our flight was #757 and the next flight was #751...they could have been confused...).

So when I left the airport I was shaking. It was about 2 p.m. California time, and I realized that I'd only eaten that danish, a handful of pistachios and a handful of pretzels since I got up this a.m. Mom jumped in and ordered pizza. Yay, mom...but now that there is no hunger keeping me sharp, I'm tending to zone out a bit.

Anyway, that is my journey. I'm too tired tonight to really feel depressed, but it does feel like just another thing is hitting me over the head at a most inopportune time. So if anyone has a good connection to a travel god, please send up some prayers for the return of my luggage.

Luggage or not, tomorrow I get to finish my holiday shopping...woohoo! on Christmas eve.

Hope your day was brighter than mine.

4 comments:

Matt said...

I always thought the joy of flying was the mystery of when exactly your luggage would show up. Seriously though, I hope you get your stuff soon, and wishing you the best for the Holiday Spinny.

Aravis said...

Best luck, best wishes and all my my prayers to the God of Travel to watch over you! May the rest of your holiday visit go smoothly!

Fred said...

Have a Merry Christmas and a great holiday weekend, Spin. Hopefully, the luggage problem was sorted out.

HistoryGeek said...

Just an update. AmericaWest called last night to say that they finally had found my luggage and it will be delivered sometime this a.m.

Excellent!