Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Lazy Spider

To answer Aravis, I'm definitely a lazy spider. I actually don't think any of my spiders are lazy, since their webs are just so neat. But I just don't get to see them move often. They had to retreat to the plants below them this a.m. because of the rain today.

I've been pretty impressed with myself this week, though. I tend to clean my house on the weekend and by the next weekend it's trashed. This week has not been too bad. Except for the kitchen, which I tend to ignore in an awful way, I have been pretty much keeping things neat. I'm very proud of myself.

Earlier this week, I was looking back in my blog and realizing just how horribly unhappy I was last year. I didn't realize at the time that I was so deeply in depression. I was also doing something really unhealthy to try to cope with it...I was drinking pretty regularly and with the sole purpose of getting drunk. I don't think I've put it this baldly before for anyone, as it's something that I knew was not smart and I was, for the most part, aware of the deliberateness of what I was doing.

What I find amazing is that I would choose to do that rather than seek out medication to stop the depression. Especially, given the fact that it made me feel more depressed and more anxious.

Technically, if you go by the DSM-IV anyway, my behavior falls under the category of substance abuse, not dependence. But my subconscious is telling me something else. I keep having dreams of being at AA meetings. And this, of course, fits my conscious experience of being in that time and feeling compelled...like nothing else would kill the pain.

I have, for the most part, stopped drinking, but given my recurrent dream and the way it feels when I have even a beer or a glass of wine that I am flirting with a deep darkness inside me, I have decided that I need to follow a path of abstinence. Being a lazy spider, I am resistant to the idea of AA, but we'll see.

I haven't talked much about this with most of my friends. I haven't mentioned it at all to my therapist or to S. I know what S would say. I'm not sure how my therapist would react.

So, wow, I didn't really expect to talk about this on my blog today. But it feels like something that I need to do today. It sets this resolve that I came to only last week, I guess, that I wouldn't drink anymore.

Throughout this post and throughout all my behavior, I've struggled with naming myself as an alcoholic. I don't know that that's a label I can use for myself. I think that might be something for me to take to therapy.

Okay, then, you can all pick yourselves off the floor, and comment away.

5 comments:

Aravis said...

*hug*

Whether or not you're an alcoholic is a conclusion that only you can arrive at, and where you go from there is also up to you either way. If you ever want to talk more about this, if you have any thoughts or questions or just need someone to listen to you, you know how to find me. No judgments here, no commands, just a willing ear if you want it.

*another hug, just because*

red one said...

Good for you for having a proper look at what you've been doing with drink and what it means.
It is not about us picking ourselves off the floor and commenting - i think the main point about this post is that you have said it to yourself. That is a sensible and healthy thing to do. People get in a mess when they are not clear eyed and upfront to themselves about drinking, I think.

Go and have something nice to eat!

Hyde said...

Wow. Still collecting my thoughts on this one...

-h-

swisslet said...

what's most important is how you feel now, right?

happier is better.

ST

P'tit-Loup said...

I really like what Aravis and red one said. For myself, I do love my wine and other libations. I guess part of it is cultural too. I don't feel yet that I use it to cope with where I'm at, mostly just because I enjoy it. I also agree with Swiss Tony, Happier is much better, and I am glad you feel happier. You had a tough year last year, and this year has been much better, and deservedly (is that a word?) so.