Monday, January 15, 2007

Lot's of things to talk about

I'll try to go in chronological order...

Last night, I watched Riding Giants, a documentary produced by Stacey Peralta, the former skateboarder and producer of Dogtown and the Z Boys. I highly recommend it. It's all about the history of big wave surfing, and it is really entertaining. It was fun to learn about the early surf culture.

Next, I figured out how to thwart some diabolical feline plans. Kitty "punished" me for not petting her in the middle of the previous night by jumping on the desk and making all sorts of racket with the pens and papers in the corner. Well, I put a stop to it last night by covering said materials. Now she just has her yowl, which is punishment enough, I assure you.

I am still highly resentful of having to be at work this a.m. I should be celebrating Martin Luther King, Jr. by sleeping in and spending the day lolling about. Instead, I was up way too early to give Scout her walk and get ready to get going for the day. Blah!

On the way to work, I was listening to the morning show on Live 105, and they were talking about "man-scaping." That's the practice, by men, of keeping pubic hair trimmed or shaved. I am just annoyed with this idea that we have that hair is bad. I don't shave my underarms...primarily because it irritates the hair follicles and can create the beginnings of boils in someone like me who has hidradenitis supperativa. I had a period of about 4 years dealing with this and I don't ever want to go back to it. A friend once commented that she thought it would be more hygienic to keep it shaved...but since most of us shower or wash daily, this really isn't the issue. Hair is natural, folks. Someone who shaves their privates so they look like a 10 year old down there is just not sexy to me.

Then I got to work, and I opened a lovely e-mail from my friend SFBette that her dad had written, called "In Praise of Drag Queens." It made me feel happy and a little better about the world today.

Okay, enough randomness. I have to work...*mumble, mumble, mumble*

2 comments:

P'tit-Loup said...

I'm nbot in favor of the "manscaping" practice, but I have to say I get somewhat of a kick that some obtuse guys are putting themselves through the troubles imposed on women for centuries! Something akin to revenge? I have seen my sister and daughter go to great extremes to satisfy the "beauty" concept of our society. My sister is still trying to get me to wear make up and "arrange" myself. It's barely worth the time to have the discussion with her that I don't care about looks.

Aravis said...

It's funny you mentioned Riding Giants because I just came from my mother's house where I watched most of it with my family. Impressive! My stomach did flip flops during some of those wipe outs and I occasionally felt a little terrified at the size of those waves. I'd definitely rather watch than do in this instance. They're amazing!