Monday, May 07, 2007

Health matters

Hello my pretties! How was everyone's weekend?

Mine started out not so well. Friday, I was feeling kind of yucky, in retrospect it was just another version of bad allergies, but I was worried for a moment or two that I had inherited HippyChick's bad cold. I also started noticing a strange phenomenon in my field of vision of my left eye. It's hard to describe the experience, except to say that it's a bit blurry sometimes and a bit shadowy sometimes.

It didn't clear up, so I called my optometrist in the afternoon and set up an appointment for Saturday a.m. S spent the night and went with me. I was, by this time, pretty freaked out so it was nice to have his stabilizing presence. They did not find any retinal tears, so that's good. I'm going to follow up with an opthamologist tomorrow. I hope they can come up with a better recommendation than "call us if you have these symptoms of a retinal tear."

Saturday evening, I met up with S & SS and we headed to this cool place in downtown Oakland called Cafe Van Kleef. It's an eclectic bar that claims to have its own ghost. The ghost never materialized, but we did get to see a fabulous dixieland jazz band and a Samba dance group (called the Hot Pink Feathers!).

Yesterday, we went for an adventure in Golden Gate Park. We went to the conservatory, then the DeYoung museum, then the Japanese tea garden. We pondered why there are bison in the park and got to see the windmill that used to pump the water into the park. All very lovely, but I spent most of it feeling kind of blechy. It wasn't super hot yesterday, but it was hotter than usual and there was no wind. I got really warm just walking from the car to the conservatory. I ended up getting a headache, then found walking around the museum challenging (well, especially in the Vivienne Westwood exhibit which was really crowded).

I was better by the time I got home, but it was so much hotter over in the East Bay. and I spent the night as near naked as I could be while I had my windows open.

I called my parents last night to tell them about my eye and my mother told me that Sister was not feeling well on Thursday. She called them to tell them she was feeling dizzy and her left arm was numb and not working. Then my mother said the next sentence, "Your sister thought she might be having a heart attack or a stroke, so she drove to the hospital." No, really. Without any irony or horror. Just an FYI, if you think you are having a heart attack or a stroke, do not drive a vehicle! If there is no one to take you to the hospital, call 911.

Anyway, they didn't find anything and she recovered okay, apparently.

Okay, then, I think that's all I have to share for the moment. Have a lovely Monday, everyone!


hammer said...

oh no! hope you're feeling a bit better today.
Did you guys come up with any reasons for the bison? As an aside, I went to catalina island a few years ago and there were bison living there too! Rumor had it that a film director brought them there, and there they procreated and stayed. We were camping out and the bison got pretty damn close in the middle of the night. One step from one of those guys and you're completely squished. hehe, sorry to take up so much space on the comment.

Cody Bones said...

I'm sorry your not feeling well Spins, I hope that you have a rapid improvement. As to what I did this weekend, just check my latest post. Ta Ta.

Aravis said...

That sounds horrible! I hope you feel better soon, and that the eye problem clears up.

Your sister might have had an anxiety attack; the symptoms can be the same. I could be wrong but from what little I've read about her here, she seems a bit high-strung or stressed.

When my appendix went, I didn't know what it was at first and I went to my doctor. He knew what it was... and made me drive myself to the hospital!

That's life in the country for you.

Hippy Chick said...

You know I am sending you good, positive thoughts my friend, as well as your sister!

writinginAK said...

I hope you feel better too!!!

And as an aside, as someone who works in a hospital and hangs out with people having heart attacks, it is AMAZING how many people drive themselves to the hospital when they are having symptoms of a heart attack. Recently I visited with a patient's family member who drove the patient not to the hospital, but to the much closer fire dept., where the ambulance took over.