Tuesday, July 10, 2007

I just learned...

When I was 12, a neighbor brought over a box of used books that she no longer wanted. I loved to read. It was an escape for me. I dug into the box and pulled out a book, The Bride of the McHugh, that introduced me to romance as a fiction genre. I loved that book. I read it until it broke in half and my mother through away half of it.

But it was the second book, and its author, that really sucked me in. The Wolf and the Dove, among other works by Kathleen Woodiwiss, will always be considered classics of the genre. And, even though I have not read any of her recent writings, I will never forget the impact of her books upon me.

Well, the venerable Woodiwiss died last week. Here's the obit from the StarTribune:

Woodiwiss, Kathleen Age 68, of Princeton. Died 7-6-2007. Survived by 2 sons, Sean (Denise) and their children, Alexa, Amber, Seth and Arienne; Heath; 2 sisters, Evelyn Vanderford, Lynn Feltner. Funeral 11:30 AM Wednesday, July 11th at Church Of The Open Door, 9060 Zanzibar Lane N, Maple Grove with visitation 1 hour prior. Visitation also 5-8 PM on Tuesday at Strike Funeral Home-Cambridge Chapel 763-689-2070


I wish I could go to the funeral to honor this lovely writer.

1 comment:

Aravis said...

I didn't know! I think hers was the first romance I ever read as well. I'm sorry to hear about this.