Wednesday, June 11, 2008

"Their walking like an Egyptian"

Several weeks ago, I learned that there was something called the
Rosicrucian Museum down in San Jose.

Rather than being a museum about Rosicrucians, it is a very impressive little museum about Egypt.

I love Egypt. I can't seem to get enough of television shows about it. I don't like to read fiction about it, but I love to see the artifacts and hear about what we know about their lives. It may just be a fascination I have with powerful civilizations. Whatever it is, I love it.

So on Sunday, I finally made my way down to San Jose to this little gem of Egypt in silicon valley. First, the people who work there are super friendly. Second, the museum is manageably small. It's one detraction was that there wasn't a cafe and I was forced to have lunch at Starbuck's across the street.

Still, the museum and attendent buildings (a planetarium, a Rosicrucian research library and welcome center, a lovely peace garden) take up a full block and are well arranged and very centering. I loved the artifacts (although I was struck by how wrong it was that there were actual mummies here in the US - or any country outside of Egypt) and what finally came together for me was the worldview of these ancient people.

They believed that this world that we live in is but a shadow of the other world. That we, and the gods, can and do exist in both places. It's a fascinating idea that seems rather quantum in it's expression.

If you are ever in northern or central California, this is a reason to stop by San Jose.

P.S. I don't know much about the Rosicrucian's themselves...sorry!

1 comment:

Aravis said...

I've always been fascinated by the Egyptians as well, and if I'm ever out that way, I'll see if you're available to share the museum with me. :0)