Tuesday, March 08, 2005

International Women's Day

Did you see the headlines? Hear the big news stories? No, of course not. Women are not big news in the U.S. This has been true for a long time and continues to be true, unless it is politically expedient. Unless we want to use the plight of women to wage war, or take away benefits, or decrease workers' rights.

On a positive note, I reflect on the historical role models I've had...Harriet Tubman, Helen Keller and Alice Paul. Women with rare courage and strength who fought for rights for themselves and others. My sense of them, through my readings, is that they did these things because this was what they thought was important.

I reflect on how the lives of women have changed here in the U.S. since my mother's birth and how little things have changed for many women abroad. We have a long way to go.

Who's your favorite woman?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OOF The Fanfare of the celebration for today has just taken it out of me. (Yes, that was sarcasm)

I guess I change favorite woman from time to time. A longtime favorite has been "La Corriveau." She was an accused witch from the towm my mother grew up in near Quebec City. She was killed in the early '20s. I guess she was just too different than what folks could bear at the time. The great human intolerant mind. There were also so few recognized women as I grew up. If they spoke up they were considered out of place. If they submitted, they were often miserable. After Oprah's rendition of "Their Eyes Were Watching God" by Zora Neal Hurston, I was thinking about how she has explored that theme in several of her writings.

I must say, I also like Grace Jones a whole lot. She was the first woman to heave a guy above her head on screen. That left a big impression on me! And she has done some great interpretation of my favorite songs in addition to her own.

Lisa