Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Retreat

So I've been housesitting for this friend who lives just south of Oakland. Her house is in a very nice neighborhood and she has a lovely yard that I've been watering for her. She even has a nice bed of greens in the front that I've been eating, too.

One of the best parts has been her back yard. It's all secluded and there are chimes and a table with an umbrella. Both days this weekend, I got to go out with the cat and read and sun with the chimes (oh, did I mention them?) and the flowers. There's even a lovely pot of mint out there to chomp on, if I like.

But the best part of all is the whirlpool tub. It takes hella long to fill up - and if it's not filled above the jets it becomes an indoor sprinkling system - but the wait is worth it. Last night I whirlpooled until my back was putty. Quite splendid.

One snafu about the neighborhood - I went out to find that someone had chopped down to of the rows of greens (I assume for their own consumption). It's a little disturbing to think of some soccer mom sneaking out with her sheers in the middle of the night to steal greens.

2 comments:

Flash said...

Soccer mom?

HistoryGeek said...

A soccer mom - a US term used to denote mother's (usually suburban driving SUVs) who spend much of their free time taking their children to various afterschool activities. These women are frequently seen on the sidelines of their children's soccer practices and games.

Little known fact, although professional soccer is not big in the US, many grade school and high school aged children (myself included) played it on a league.