Friday, September 23, 2005

"Heads or tails and fairytales in my mind"

So, I got sidetracked from another "spinster family history" post when I saw a comment from Swiss Toni here. It's basically him responding to the recent hurricane Meme - although I really think these things are a bit more like tornadoes since there's so little warning. Anyway, it was a very sweet response, and I was pleased to get it. I didn't want my response to his question for me to be buried, so here it is:

"7. If you had the opportunity to sleep with someone today with no strings and no ties and no repercussions, would you take it? I think that maybe you wouldn't and that it should be about more than that, but I'd love to know if that's true."

This is absolutely true...sure the thought has crossed my mind in the past to mindlessly seek out some stranger, but given the mechanics of the business, there is no guarantee that it would even be pleasurable to me in such a situation. I'm also really not that forward, so the thought of it just makes me cringe.

So no, I cannot imagine sleeping with someone with whom I do not have some affection and connection, and that means there will be repercussions, even if they are only internal and my own. But I will qualify that that does not mean I will be saving myself for a solid, committed relationship, either (i.e. I'm not saving myself for "the one" because I'm not sure that "the one" exists for everyone in every lifetime)

I don't know why, but this question and really thinking about this answer has made me think about the following poem...It's a bit of a tangent, though:

from Fatal Interview
by Edna St. Vincent Millay

30

Love is not all; it is not meat or drink
Nor slumber nor a roof against the rain,
Nor yet a floating spar to men that sink
And rise and sink and rise and sink again;
Love can not fill the thickened lung with breath,
Nor clean the blood, nor set the fractured bone;
Yet many a man is making friends with death
Even as I speak, for lack of love alone.
It well may be that in a difficult hour,
Pinned down by pain and moaning for release,
Or nagged by want past resolution's power,
I might be driven to sell your love for peace,
Or trade the memory of this night for food.
It well may be. I do not think I would.

3 comments:

Fred said...

Interesting poem. Indeed, love is not all. Sure, I love The Missus, but that by itself wouldn't produce a solid, lasting relationship. I could go on, but there's a long list of things, in addition to love, that need to be there.

Hyde said...

You should send me a list of recommended poetry. This struck a chord. I tend to navigate towards the "making friends with death for lack of love alone." Perspective, Hyde! Perspective!

red one said...

Very interesting poem. Think i need to find out a bit more about that one.

Thanks for this, Spin.

red