Thursday, November 10, 2005

"You're feeling the boredom too"

It seems like my idea for a regular feature was something of a hit last week. Good controversy is a nice way to start the weekend, I think.

So, this week's guest has already admitted to saving people from making poor musical choices on public jukeboxes, and this week he's saving those of us who have yet to see his least favorite movie from movie purgatory...he's our own blog superhero: Flash!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

For some reason or other I don't actually watch many movies, which is a little odd considering I really enjoy doing so.

When asked to do this feature I struggled for a few minutes, trying to remember what I'd seen & hated.

Then it came to me, almost as if it had fallen out of the sky...

Like Lordy B before me, I suspect that the comments box will be flooded with disagreements. Also like Lordy B, my choice is one of those films where everyone raves about it & disliking it automatically qualifies you as some sort of numpty who couldn't understand what they'd seen. And once again like Lordy B, I shall point out that I'm a reasonably clever sort of chap who did "get" it but hated it nontheless.

I watched this film with 2 of my best friends, we paid for the bloody thing.
"Oh, it's had so many great reviews guys" said I "It's supposed to be a classic"
They still haven't forgiven me.

My biggest problem I have now is trying to tell you why I hated it. I know I did, but for the life of me I can't really remember much about the whole snoozefest, sorry, film.

I just remember it was crap.

I've been reading some reviews to try & recall the specifics of the film. One of said "you just don't know what to expect next", true enough. I was expecting a story of some sort.

I feel like my argument is wafer thin & that I haven't chronicled what it really is about this movie that gets my goat so much.

I simply just hated it, as did my co-watching friends.

There was one redeeming feature I recall; an enlightening discussion on the sexual habits of Smurfs. However, two minutes of mildly entertaining mirth does not a good movie make.

So, who is with me?

Donnie Darko: cimematic wonder or pile of old tosh?


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

An interesting, ironic, twist to this is that when I searched out the Donnie Darko site on google, the description of said site read: "Official site. Requires Flash." Yeah, yeah, I know what it really means. Still, it's pretty funny!

So let's have at it, folks.

And be sure to come back next week, when HippyChick will be doing some crisis intervention on our movie choices!

6 comments:

swisslet said...

Interesting choice. Like Fight Club, this is another film that did practically nothing at the box office, and also like 'fight club', it only really began to get a second lease of life when it was recognised as a 'cult' film.... so I suppose it's another of those films where the majority of people probably don't really care for it, but where a vocal minority have trumpeted the film's merits and held it up as a modern classic.

Part of me can understand why this puts people off films (and I know you just went to see it and decided it was plop, flash, so I'm not incuding you in this), but the thing is that I really enjoyed this film.

Like fight club, I loved this film from the first time I saw it.

What did I like about it? I loved the pacing, I loved the way it starts at the end and spends the rest of the film working its way back to that point. I like the fact that Patrick Swayze is cast so spectacularly against type. And yes, I like the fact that I felt challenged by the film, and that as soon as I had seen it once, I wanted to see it again.

So yeah. I thought it was a great film.

Still. If everyone was the same, life would be boring, eh? Plus I know that Flash's favourite film is one of my favourites too, so he must be alright really.

ST

Teresa Bowman said...

I liked it! I thought it was strange and clever.

But then, I like weird stuff.

Charby said...

I liked it, although I had and still have absolutely no idea what it was all about.
And was scared by the Frank Character.

HistoryGeek said...

I have to admit that I never saw the movie. I'm not sure it was much on my radar when it was playing.

Still, it's interesting, it doesn't seem to be sparking quite the defense that Fight Club did.

Pynchon said...

I think that it is a geniune classic. My lady was actually angry that she had wasted a couple of hours of her life watching it.

I am right. She is wrong.

Fred said...

Haven't seen it. I hate to admit it, but I'm not all that familiar with this one. Maybe I should get my head out of the sand.