Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Let's recap

Breakfast - dad makes waffles and we eat little smokies and drink orange juice.

Gift giving - someone protests "I thought these were supposed to be just stocking stuffers!" as we dig into our respective packages. I got a lovely crackle glass vase, a Rachel Reah cookbook, a cool travel clock, and the best slippers that I haven't taken off since. I'm trying to figure out if I can wear them out to lunch with my friends today.

Lull before the storm - Sister slept, dad read his book, mom putzed in the kitchen, aunty disappeared in her room, and I read in the living room.

The storm - aunty2 and her brood arrived, sans former MissAKUSA. We learn immediately that said daughter has been engaged to be married "finally!" ("After 7 years, it's about time!" says aunty2.) We hear about the ring and the possibility of an island wedding.

Then comes the gift opening from which Sister and I are excluded since aunty2 has deemed her responsibility to us is at an end (to be fair, we don't give her gifts either, but we once had a very successful name draw that left me feeling less annoyed by the whole thing...petty? Perhaps. I'm not above a bit of pettiness now and then.).

Next comes the awkward conversation. To be fair MissAKUSA used to contribute quite a bit, so her presence was sorely missed. Dad was keeping things going at times...until the debate/argument about Ford trucks started. I nipped out at that point and came downstairs to check my e-mail.

Games - we all retreated to the breakfast room to play Apples to Apples and Uno, while uncle and dad watched a spaghetti western.

Storm departs and clean-up begins. The cats breathed a huge sigh of relief and the dog stopped looking so confused.

To bed. I've been having trouble sleeping at home the past couple of nights, but last night I slept without much trouble. I'm still missing my own bed sorely, but what can you do?

5 comments:

shorty said...

Is that Apples to Apples game any good?

HistoryGeek said...

It's a lot of fun, and it's great for both kids and adults to play together!

P'tit-Loup said...

I love Apples to Apples. You can have a lot of fun with it depending of the crowd you play with.

Sorry about the stormy part of the day, sounds like everyone else recovered nicely after the event and no permanent damages were done. Why is that sister estranged from the other two? It sounds like everyone else gets along pretty well. I like you dad and uncle's choice of film! I have watched a lot of those in my days!

New White Keds said...

We like Apples to Apples so ,uch that when my husband and I got married, we registered for it!

Your holiday sounds like many a holiday story... bottom line being that you were with family and loved ones (save for S) and you will be home in your own bed soon.

Aravis said...

Yes, there always seems to be a family member or two who introduces a touch of chaos into an otherwise peaceful holiday. It sounds as though your Christmas was nice for the most part, though. You'll be home in your own bed- or with S- soon now! :0)