Saturday, December 23, 2006

Stop! Thief!

So my mother told me about a recent adventure that I just have to share.

She was shopping at a local shopping mall and had picked up a bath set that she was thinking of getting for my sister. She looped it around her hand, then at some point had to drape her coat over that same hand, in order to carry some other things that she was getting.

When she was finished shopping, she went through check-out then out to the car. She put the bag in the car, then her coat, and there hanging from her hand was the bath set. She freaked out, looking around to make sure no one was coming after her and threw it in the car. She sat in the car for several minutes trying to figure out what to do...she was too embarressed to bring it back in to pay for it.

So she brought it home. In the middle of the night, she woke in a panic. She couldn't just keep it! What would happen if my sister wanted to exchange it? She, of course, couldn't give it to my sister and tell her that she'd "stolen" it. She suddenly had a brilliant idea.

She went back to the store the next day. She had the bath set in her purse and she set it in the basket with her coat on top. During her travels around the store, she took the set out of the purse and left it in the basket. She got an item or two, then proceeded to check-out and paid for it along with the new things she'd picked up.

We've been teasing her that she's a closet felon! She is, of course, one of the most precisely honest people I've ever known.

I've been spending my time with napping and reading and various other lazy activities. I've also, apparently, been missing out on all the good earthquakes. It is a little disturbing that they keep happening at the same place on the fault.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's one of the cutest things I've ever heard :)

Charby said...

Awwwwwwwww!

P'tit-Loup said...

That is so cute! I remember leaving a restaurant without paying once when I was about 8 months pregnant. I picked my check out to go to the bathroom (that's basically all you do at that point in the pregnancy) and then left without paying. Just plain forgot. I remember when I took my clothes off at night and found the receit in my pocket. I was not as honest as your mom though and never paid it. That is another part of being pregnant, you're sorta forgetful!

Aravis said...

Your poor mother! I can just picture her discomfort. Brilliant way to handle it though! *G*

Anonymous said...

You know, I have a similar story about my mother. Perhaps it's a common mom-moment around the holidays? Too busy with the million and two things to do to be on top of everything every year? Either way, cute story.

LB said...

that's a great tale. Honesty always the best policy.

hope you have a great Christmas, poppet.

Anonymous said...

Without a doubt, the world needs more people like your mother, I hope that you have a great holiday. Welcome back to the midwest, if only for a while.