Wednesday, August 08, 2007

The Dark Is Rising

I was feeling a bit crappy yesterday. I had a recurrance of the fever and achiness symptoms and my doctor has finally prescribed some antibiotics. I have, also, made myself worry unneccessarily by looking up what "antinuclear antibodies" is as my MD included that in my blood tests. It's a test that rules out Lupus. So, yea, I was a bit down last night.

But then this morning, I am feeling almost better. I don't think that the antibiotics have cured me yet, since I'd only taken one dose, but maybe, just maybe I might be actually getting better. And, if I'm not, then at least my doctor is being thorough.

I did otherwise have a pretty good day. We had a social work meeting and I gave a presentation on working with people with Borderline Personality Disorder. It was a great presentation and got people really talking. I was pleased by that.

I realized yesterday that I had forgotten to mention something in my weekend review on Monday. So I'll talk about it now. I was at the movie theater and one of the posters for upcoming movies caught my eye. The movie is called The Seeker: The Dark is Rising and is based on the Dark Is Rising Series by Susan Cooper.

For me, before there was Tolkien, there was Susan Cooper. I was utterly entranced by the adventures of Will Stanton and the fantasy world which he had access to. It is not to much to say that I wanted to be a part of it. It drew me in much more than other fantasies before or since in that I could imagine myself having that life.

So it was exciting to see that it will be a film...but now I've found out that they've made the character in the film a 14 year old American boy and not an 11 year old British boy as he was in the books, and I'm left to wonder how they are going to make this work. So much of the mythology of the books is based in Celtic mythology and taking the setting out of England would be like taking Harry Potter out of Hogwarts. It just does not make sense to me.

I'm going to be going to the library to reread these beloved books, I'm sure, before the movie comes out. That way I can be doubly disdainful and disappointed in the movie when I go to see it (because I am still childishly pleased that they are making the books into movies).

1 comment:

Aravis said...

Good news about the presentation!

Funny you should make the Potter analogy, because that's what I immediately thought of when I saw "The Seeker."

I hate when movie-makers change such vital things, and for no good reason. It screws everything up needlessly. Still, I hope for your sake it turns out well. Perhaps I'll check it out; I've never read the books.